Saturday, January 19, 2013

Two miniature paintings

I am currently dividing my attention between two types of painting: a large commission and small miniatures that I want to include in a three-week, three-artists show to be held in March.

Here are two small watercolors I have painted in the past 10 days. Both are on  6" x 6"  X 1.5" paper-covered wood panels and will be displayed without glass. The first one is already varnished, the second one will be as soon as I give a last coat of black on some of the lines.

Pond Queen
For "Pond Queen" , I used a reference by Stephie on WetCanvas. On my monitor, it really looks like the colors could have been turned up a bit more...

It's Lunch Time
The butterfly painting has not been varnished yet. I will go over some of the black lines again, although they are darker than they appear under the lights used for the photo.  I was pleased by smooth  my background. Thanks to Jacqueline Gnott for her great tips on painting smooth watercolor backgrounds.

Working on paper that has been adhered to a wood panel requires getting used to. The paint does not flow as it usually does on watercolor paper; the water dries very quickly and the paints don't mix on the paper very well. Nevertheless, if I want a varnished watercolor painting, I prefer to attach the paper before painting rather than risking ruining the finished painting when it's time to glue it to the board. Believe me, it hurts when you ruin a 16" x 16" painting at that stage.

I hope you are all doing well and are having a creative and healthy January.

14 comments:

  1. These are both lovely delicate little paintings - I love everything you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like both of these. I know that they will do well in the show. It is really nice to be able to display without mat and glass isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you like these two little paintings, Vicki. I think it is important to have a few smaller pieces at a show.

    Displaying without mat is such a great option. However, for some paintings I still prefer the glass,,,the watercolor looks more transparent.
    On the second one, the white on the butterfly and on the flower is the white of the paper. I wonder if the white will be affected by the varnish? I should at least have put some water on that white, but I forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both paintings are very beautiful. But I like more the butterfly with its smooth green background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Cora. Thank you for stopping by. I am glad that you like the butterfly and its background.

      Delete
  5. I just show you the tools to get it done, Christiane. It's your talent that does the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacqueline, you are being too modest. I have quite a few of your videos and I watch them over and over...I always learn something new. You have been my inspiration these last few years. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I too like both paintings Christiane. Your background on the butterfly painting is really well done! I have varnished some of my paintings, but I find that most look best with the breathing space of a matt around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I'm glad that you like the background. I too really like the look of a mat and glass, but some of my clients do prefer the absence of glass. So, it's good to have the option of offering them a "glassless" look while still having the pleasure of working on a watercolour.

      Delete
  7. Yes I also like the way that you have captured nature in all its glory. I especially like the lotus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph, thank you very much for stopping by. I've enjoyed visiting your two blogs.

      Delete